The perils of mountainside internet

I had hoped to put up some full posts this week, despite being on holiday.
Unfortunately, I am coming to realise that I have come to take broadband for granted, like running water or cups of tea.
In reality, broadband is a luxury, and up here on a mountainside of France, I'm rediscovering the joys of the slowly spinning ticker, while websites load one pixel at a time to my increasing disappointment and frustration.

Perhaps this is a lesson in relaxation. Without this constant connection, without the ability, never mind the desire, to constantly check my email, update my twitter feed, stream the latest humorous video about cats, I am left to enjoy the simple things, like reading a book or watching a film with my family.

Somehow, my teenage daughter managed to combine the two, and claimed to be distracted by neither.

Nevertheless, this week will be a slight change from your regularly scheduled updates. This is your curtailed Tuesday post. I will try and post again on Thursday but cannot promise to make it. If I don't you can assume I am curled up on a sofa with my wife and two children, blissfully internet free while my daughter teaches us the joys of multi-slacking. I hope I can cope with this relaxation thing. It sounds like hard work.

Comments

Popular Posts