My Top 5 books of all time

1. Of Mice And Men: John Steinbeck

I love this book. I've reread it so many times and it never gets old. George and Lenny, two migrant workers in the Great Depression, attempt to save enough money to set up a place of their own, but are ultimately betrayed by the selfishness of others. Perfectly formed characters, each perfectly flawed, with a sense of inevitability about their fates that we, as readers, can see inescapably etched into the characters lives, even if the characters themselves are oblivious to their hopelessness.

2. Three Men In A Boat: Jerome K Jerome

From the perfect tragedy to the perfect comedy. Three men decide to go on a boating holiday together in Edwardian England, despite their complete lack of experience in either boating or, it seems, holidaying. A comedy largely about each man's self belief that they are the glue holding the expedition together, while the other two are complete idiots, this book charts the reality of all of our friendships.

3. Where the Wild Things Are: Maurice Sendak

Am I allowed this on my list? It's not a book I would necessarily read now, but it is one of my favourite books of all time. A picture book about Max, a little boy who is sent to his room without any supper for being naughty so runs off to the land where the wild things are, this was the story that started my love affair with books and got me into reading. Ironic, given that most of the charm of this book comes from the iconic artwork, rather than the words.
Okay, so it's a picture book but I think I'm allowed this. You always remember your first love.

4. The Colour of Magic: Terry Pratchett


Talking of first loves, I first encountered The Colour Of Magic when I was 10 and looking for a present for my best friend in a book shop. By the time I gave it to him, I had needed to place a heavy weight on it to try and reshape the bent back cover and dog eared pages. In reality, it's not the best of Mr Pratchett's offerings – for that I would probably go for one of the Sam Vimes books when Terry had moved on from simple parody and pastiche to a much more complex satire on human nature – but it started the whole franchise and for that it deserves a place on my list.

5. About a Boy: Nick Hornby
For my money, the best of all the Hornby offerings. Fever Pitch was the novel that got him published, High Fidelity was the novel that made his name, but About a Boy was the novel where his ideas came together into a brilliant study of a man not even aware of his lack of connection with his fellow man and his gradual realisation that other people make his life better, not worse. A story about a man who doesn't have to work due to a previous success he doesn't feel able to take any credit for, you can imagine a lot of Hornby's post High Fidelity experiences might have fed into the character of Will. But it's Marcus, the son of a suicidal single mother with problems fitting in at school, who brings both the book and Will to life. A book about relationships beyond the usual boring boy meets girl, about responsibility coming in all shapes and sizes and about fitting in being less about changing yourself and more about simply finding the right place to fit.

So that's it, my top five books of all time. I'll admit, it was a hard choice and a number of favourites didn't make the list. What do you think? What are you screaming at me for leaving out? What books shaped your life?
Let's compare. Write your top five in the comments below, or message me on Facebook. Let the arguments commence.

Comments

Popular Posts